Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Frugality for 2012

Once January rolls around and those Christmas bills start coming in, the idea of a fresh start and saving more money in 2012 comes to the forefront.  Since I am out of laundry detergent, I decided to make some lavender laundry soap.  I have made liquid laundry detergent before but I left this batch as a powder.  Here is the recipe I used.  I sort of used the recipe from Mother Earth News as a guide.

2 cups of baking soda
1 1/2 cups of borax
1 cup of washing soap (I used Arm and Hammer)
1 bar of Ivory soap grated finely
1 1/2 tsp of lavender essential oil

Mix all together and use 1/8 of a cup per load. 




This should cost about 0.05 cents per load as compared to Tide which runs about .15 cents per load. 

Next I am going to make lavender dishwasher soap.  I bet when the hot water hits that in the dishwasher the lavender scent will fill the room!

No comments:

Post a Comment